History

 

Founded in 1903 the BGS can claim to be one of the oldest surviving golfing societies.

The first Annual Tournament was held in 1903 at Royal Cinque Ports, and the first Scrutton Cup competition between the four Inns of Court was held at Woking in 1923. The Annual Tournament is and always has been a singles match-play knock out competition played under handicap.

It is fitting that the Scrutton Cup is played annually at Woking, which was founded in 1893 by members of the Bar.  The BGS retains very close links with Woking and hosts a number of its matches there.

Since the first Annual Tournament in 1903 the BGS has held an annual Tournament in every year other than during the First and Second World Wars. It has played traditionally at Royal Cinque Ports, Deal, and Rye, but with more occasional trips to Hunstanton and Royal Birkdale.

The BGS has a very long and proud history, with many notable and influential members, Captains, Presidents, and Tournament winners.

However, it is very much focussed on the present and the future in ensuring that it remains a collegiate and welcoming society for members of the Bar and the Judiciary.